Saturday, August 8, 2009

julie and julia movie

Julie & Julia movie review: Powell's food blog makes it big.


julie and julia book, julie and julia trailer, julie and julia movie trailer, julie and julia movie review, pictures of julia child.



Julie & Julia

Julie Powell is disgruntled. She picks up Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She cooks her way through the book, blogging as she goes. Food blog gets book deal. Book gets movie deal. Everyone lives happily ever after....

Read the book. Saw the movie. Some people say the book is always better than the movie. I have to disagree.

Meryl Streep

Meryl is the perfect Julia Child. Maybe even more perfect than Julia herself. Her voice, mannerisms, the way she has to bend down to reach the counters, everything is perfect! Meryl isn't as tall as Julia Child, but they did wonders with special effects, making her larger than life and towering above the rest of the actors and actresses. There's a scene in the ladies powder room where Julia is smoking, as did many of her peers of that era. For some reason, I just can't see Julia smoking, and wondered if it was only social smoking or if she really enjoyed smoking. Either way, it must have tainted her taste buds just a little. I wonder, does Meryl Streep smoke regularly, or did she only smoke for the movie?

Julie Powell

Julie Powell, food blogger, writes a book, Hollywood makes a movie out of it. What a dream come true for a food blogger! Having been written by the author herself, Julie Powell's book gives us a raw glimpse into her daily life as she cooks and blogs her way through Julia Child's book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I found the book hard to read. I put it down a number of times, and had to make myself pick it back up and read it. But the book is real, Julie pulls no punches, she's depressed, ready to give up, cries a lot and cusses - a lot - and they're not always the cute mild cuss words either. The cooking and blogging were hard. Sometimes it was a thankless job. Dinners went in the garbage and down the drain. And it comes through in her writing, and it brought me down as well. You don't want your kids reading the book. But I have to say this, she was commited to finishing the Julie/Julia Project, and I admire that.

Bon Appétit!

I could have gone and seen Julie & Julia with a bunch of foodie girlfriends, but choose my hubby instead. After all, it is he who eats all my delicious successes and awful rejects, just as Paul Child and Eric Powell enjoyed the good meals and spit out the bones their wives cooked!

There is a scene in the movie where, as a food blogger myself, had tears in my eyes imagining what it would be like to get a call from all those newpapers and publishers just as Julie Powell did. I hate to fight back the emotions. All in all, Julie & Julia was a great movie, deserving of a high rating. I would watch it all over again! Bon Appétit!

Amy Adams

Amy plays Julie Powell. After I read the book, I would say it's a good thing Nora Ephron took things down a notch. There was an "F" word in it, but it was spoken by Stanley Tucci as Paul Child. A few other naughty words gave it the PG 13 rating. If the movie was true to the book, it would have had an R rating. I'm glad they toned it down. Even though Julie wrote those things in her book out of frustration, I don't think it was neccessary to add them in the movie. That said, Amy Adams was a delightful Julie Powell. She was adorable!



No comments:

Post a Comment